PESEL number

A person should apply for a PESEL (Universal Electronic System for Registration of the Population) number once you decide to work in Poland. This is because having a PESEL number is the only way for employees to fulfill their tax obligations.

Required documents

  • Confirmation of accommodation
  • Filled out by the Canidate and a manager of the dormitory (or landlord) appendix 


Health insurance

Health insurance covers the costs of medical treatment in Poland. It allows you to receive medical assistance from General Practitioner (family doctor) or to receive hospital care, excluding accident insurance (so-called NNW). Your health insurance entitles you to use the services of medical facilities (health care centers, hospitals, clinics).

An insurance is mandatory for all students while staying in Poland, if a non-EU citizen does not possess insurance, ones is obliged to pay for all health services on its own. 


Private insurance policy

Is acceptable when covers the costs of medical care in Poland (medical assistance and hospital care). Accident insurance does not constitute proof of insurance covering the costs of medical treatment in Poland. Note that the policy must be valid on the day the decision on granting a residence permit is issued.

Foreign insurance policy

Health insurance policies concluded in languages other than Polish should be translated into Polish by a sworn translator. The originals of both  – the health insurance agreement and the certified translation should be presented for inspection.

National Health Fund (NFZ)

If a foreigner does not possess valid insurance, apart from the private companies, there is a possibility to purchase a treatment in the public sector.

To be a holder of NFZ insurance, a person interested has to attach:

  • 2 copies of Appendix
  • Passport and visa, 
  • Student ID card
  • Confirmation of studying
  • Confirmation of accommodation
  • Residence card (if obtained)

The above-mentioned documents have to be deposited in:

National Health Fund Office

aleja IX Wieków Kielc 2a, 25-516 Kielce

Temporary residence card

A foreigner intending to stay in Poland for a duration exceeding 3 months may apply for a temporary residence permit. A temporary residence permit can be granted for a maximum period of 3 years.

If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, you can legally stay in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.

Required documents

  • Confirmation of studying together with confirmation of the tuition fee payment (issued by the students’ office)
  • Confirmation of accommodation (a document issued by the manager of the dormitory or in case of renting a flat – an agreement)
    • REMEMBER! When changing the place of residence or correspondence address, inform the voivode each time.
  • Bank statement confirming the possession of sufficient financial resources to cover the costs of education, living, and return – after deduction of the costs of living.
  • 4 pictures (35 mm x 45 mm, face occupies 70-80% of the picture)
  • Confirmation of valid medical insurance (If you pay in installments, make sure to submit proof of payment).
  • Passport and visa
  • Student id card
  • An application form – Appendix 1


  1. Examining the case of granting a temporary residence permit: 340 PLN

The payment can be done personally in the Department or by bank transfer:

Urząd Miasta Kielce

ING Bank Śląski S.A.

38 1050 0099 6450 9000 0000 0000

Payment title: “opłata za zezwolenie na pobyt czasowy – name and surname of applicant”


  • 2. Issuing the card: 50 PLN

The payment can be done personally in the Department or by bank transfer:

Świętokrzyski Urząd Wojewódzki w Kielcach

NBP Odział Okręgowy Kielce

67 1010 1238 0853 4222 3100 0000

Payment title:  “opłata za kartę pobytu – name and surname of applicant”

Procedure of submitting the application

The application shall be submitted in person, no later than on the last day of legal residence on the territory of the Republic of Poland.

When submitting the application, the foreigner is obliged to submit fingerprints.

If the application is not submitted in person (is sent by post), you will be asked to come in person within an indicated in the letter period.